Do you ever remember a time when you felt helpless and scared for the health of yourself or your family? Have you ever felt hopeless and at a loss when it came to protecting yourself from enemies and disease?
We have all been in situations where we have wanted to call upon Allah to protect us and our loved ones. As Muslims, we believe that no harm can come to us unless Allah wills it, and with that belief, we raise our hands in supplication every time hardship falls upon us.
The following excerpt from a hadith beautifully lays out how higher powers are only with Allah. If we have faith in Him, then we should also have faith no harm will come to us:
… And if they were to gather together to harm you with anything, they would not harm you except with what Allah had already prescribed against you… (an-Nawawi, 19)
It is important to remember that saying a dua in itself is showing our love to Allah and brings us closer to His mercy. But it is important to understand the meaning of the dua to mean it while you pray and avail of its benefits.
Below are eight dua’s with meanings we can recite whenever we feel the need to call upon Allah to protect us against enemies and diseases.
1. Dua for Protection from Enemies
- Arabic Verse: اَللّٰهُمَّ إنَّا نَجْعَلُكَ فِيْ نُحُوْرِهِمْ وَنَعُوذُ بِكَ مِنْ شُرُورِهِمْ
- Dua Transliteration: Allaahumma ‘innaa naj’aluka fee nuhoorihim wa na’oothu bika min shuroorihim
- English Translation: O Allah, we make Thee our shield against them and take refuge in Thee from their evils.
- Source: This is a Sahih hadith (Al-Albani) from Sunan Abu Dawud
Reference: Book 8, Hadith 122
We often are faced with some people in our lives who wish to bring harm upon our family members or us. Often this is something that causes us much anxiety and tension.
This dua for protection from enemies is perfect for removing yourself from that state of anxiety. It was recited by the Holy Prophet, (pbuh) when he feared a group of people and can be used to protect yourself by reciting it three times a day as a general habit.
2. Dua for Protection against Hardship
- Arabic Verse: لَا إِلَٰهَ إِلَّا أَنْتَ سُبْحَانَكَ إِنِّي كُنْتُ مِنَ الظَّالِمِينَ
- Dua Transliteration: Laaa ilaaha illaaa Anta Subhaanaka innee kuntu minaz zaalimeen
- English Translation: There is no deity except You; exalted are You. Indeed, I have been of the wrongdoers.
- Source: Surah al-Anbiya Ayat 87
When we find ourselves in a state of despair, we can take solace from Allah and recite this dua. This dua was recited by Prophet Younus alaihissalam when he was in the belly of the whale and was repenting for not following Allah’s orders.
We often find ourselves in situations where we face adversity from our enemies. Take inspiration from Prophet Younus alaihissalam when he was submerged under three layers of darkness and had no one to turn to except for Allah. It is only Allah who decides our fate and can save us from our enemies.
3. Dua for Protection Every Kind of Harm
- Arabic Verse: بِسْمِ اللَّهِ الَّذِي لَا يَضُرُّ مَعَ اسْمِهِ شَيْءٌ فِي الْأَرْضِ وَلَا فِي السَّمَاءِ وَهُوَ السَّمِيعُ الْعَلِيمُ
- Dua Transliteration: Bismillahil-lazi la yadhurru ma’asmihi syai’un fil ardhi wa la fis-sama’i wa huwas-Sami’ul ‘Aleem
- English Translation: In the Name of Allah with Whose Name there is protection against every kind of harm in the earth or in heaven, and He is All-Hearing and All-Knowing
- Source: Abu Dawud & At- Tirmidhi: Book 16, Hadith 1457
This dua is for those situations when you have a general fear but are unsure what its source is. This could include protection from disease and enemies. We often hear that people get a sixth sense of coming danger but cannot specify what it is that they fear.
This dua will help to relieve their anxiety and the general feeling of foreboding calamity. Recite this three times every morning and evening to seek protection from Allah.
4. Dua for Protection from Diseases
- Arabic Verse: اللَّهُمَّ إِنِّي أَعُوذُ بِكَ مِنَ البَرَصِ وَالْجُنُونِ وَالْجُذَامِ وَمِنْ سَيِّئِ الْأَسْقَامِ
- Dua Transliteration: Allahumma inni a’uzubika minal baros, wal junuun wal juzzam, wa min sayyi’il-asqam
- English Translation: O Allah, I seek refuge in You from Leprosy, madness, elephantiasis, and evil diseases
- Source: Sunan Abi Dawud, Hadith: 1549 and Sahih Ibn Hibban; Al Ihsan, Hadith: 1017
Recite this dua when you or your loved one is exposed to disease or unwell. It is a powerful dua that indicates that during the Holy Prophet’s (pbuh) time those afflicted with Leprosy and disease would recite this dua to harness the healing powers of the Almighty. This dua is used as a protection tool against mental health disorders and other malignant diseases as well.
5. Dua for Healing from Disease
- Arabic Verse: اللَّهُمَّ ربَّ النَّاسِ ، أَذْهِب الْبَأسَ ، واشْفِ ، أَنْتَ الشَّافي لا شِفَاءَ إِلاَّ شِفَاؤُكَ ، شِفاءً لا يُغَادِرُ سقَماً
- Dua Transliteration: Allaahumma Rabban-naas, adhhibil-ba’s, washfi antash-Shaafi laa shifaa’a illaa shifaa’uka shifaa’an laa yughaadiru saqaman
- English Translation: O Allah, Lord of mankind, do away with my suffering. Heal (me) as You are the only Healer, and there is no cure except that of Yours, it is that which leaves no ailment behind.
- Source: Al Bukhari (with Al-Fath 10/206) and Muslim 4/1721
It is reported that this dua was recited by the Holy Prophet (pbuh) whenever he would visit a sick relative. He would take his right hand and brush it over the ill person while reciting this dua.
This is a masnoon dua for protection from diseases. It is best for those who are sick and want to take advantage of Allah’s healing powers. The power of recitation during disease is great and important for the family of the afflicted to recite as well as the ill person themselves.
This is an all-encompassing short dua that can be easily passed around to family members when holding prayer sessions for ill loved ones.
6. Dua for Protection After Leaving the House
- Arabic Verse: بِسْمِ اللَّهِ تَوَكَّلْتُ عَلَى اللَّهِ لاَ حَوْلَ وَلاَ قُوَّةَ إِلاَّ بِاللَّهِ
- Dua Transliteration: Bismi-llaahi, tawakkaltu ’ala-llaahi, wa laa hawla wa laa quwwata illaa bi-llaah
- English Translation: In the name of Allah, I place my trust in Allah, and there is no might nor power except with Allah.
- Source: Reference: Sunan Abi Dawud 5095, Book 43, Hadith 323
Often when we leave the house, we like to recite something that will protect us from any dangers that may lie outside the vicinity of our comfort zone.
This dua is very useful to recite when we want to turn to Allah to protect us against unknown enemies and dangers outside our home. This dua has been referenced in three different Hadith books and is commonly recited by Muslims.
7. Dua for Protection Against Weaknesses
- Arabic Verse: اللَّهُمَّ إِنِّي أَعُوذُ بِكَ مِنَ الْهَمِّ وَالْحَزَنِ، وَالْعَجْزِ وَالْكَسَلِ، وَالْبُخْلِ وَالْجُبْنِ، وَضَلَعِ الدَّيْنِ، وَغَلَبَةِ الرِّجَالِ
- Dua Transliteration: Allaahumma ‘innee ‘a’oothu bika minal-hammi walhazani, wal’ajzi walkasali, walbukhli waljubni, wa dhala’id-dayni wa ghalabatir-rijaal
- English Translation: O Allah, I seek refuge in You from grief and sadness, from weakness and from laziness, from miserliness and from cowardice, from being overcome by debt and overpowered by men (i.e., others).
- Source: Al-Bukhari 7/158. See also Al-Asqalani, Fathul-Bari 11/173
It is important to include this dua in our list as it covers a different form of the enemy that we should always be asking Allah to protect us from. This enemy we may encounter in ourselves and our state of mind.
This dua will help us become strong to overcome financial and other issues which could be a result of our own mental weaknesses. We need to take control of our own mental being in order to overcome this enemy.
8. Dua for Protection Against Evil Eye
No list of dua’s for protection from enemies and evil eye can be complete without mentioning Surah Ikhlas, Surah Nas, and Surah Falak.
The three surahs should be read three times in the morning before we go to sleep and after prayer. The power of these three surahs cannot be underestimated. Their protective power has been mentioned by the Holy Prophet (pbuh) in the following Hadith:
…a man heard another man reciting Qul Huwa Allahu Ahad and repeating it. The next morning, he came to the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) and told him about that. The man thought that it was too little, but the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: “By the One in Whose hand is my soul, it is equivalent to one-third of the Quran.” Al-Bukhaari (6643)
Protect Yourself from Enemies and Disease with These 8 Duas
Considering all that has happened in the past few years with COVID-19, we all are looking for ways we can feel closer to Allah’s protective powers. These dua’s will bring us closer to Allah and remind us to recite Quranic verses to protect ourselves. Allah will always be there if we remember Him.
If you would like to learn more masnoon duas, read 5 powerful duas and prayers for traveling.